Assignment 2b - Transformation (Haven't Upgrade)

18:14 Nicole Tay 0 Comments

  After the group work, we are needed to design a lighting piece with the condition of using the chair as inspiration also the keywords. For me, I wrote relaxing, curvy and organic for my keywords and radial for formal organisation. I did some research to get the inspiration and ideas. By the way, this post are the non upgraded series of mock up also sketches. So, well, back to the topic, I designed my lamp like a whale cow spots according what ms Anne said *-.-* and I named it as "The Lucerne" which means lamp in latin.
A range of first ideas
Develop more at the chosen one
Second range of ideas
My final base model
Base model mock up (top view)
Base model mock up (side view)
  Continuing from base model, there's three step until we reach the final outcome. Step one is position. At this step, we need to decide how to put our design as like it is floating in the air. At first, I was thinking to use the most simple way - suspended using a wire. But that doesn't look interesting so I change it to suspended in the way of mounted.
Keywords research
First idea for step one
P.s: I forgotten to take a picture of the mock up and it's ruined.
Final idea for step one which needed to upgrade
*stay tuned for my next post about the up gradation*
Step one mock up
  Step two is physical alteration. The first idea come to my mind when doing this step is I need to bent or twist my model so that it look more alive. So, spiral staircase inspired me also the wavy pattern which later my model have a spiral down to the middle and a wave to the end. I use split method so that my lighting piece doesn't look so solid.
Step two ideas
Step two final idea
Fail mock up for step two as it looks clumsy and messy
  Step three is design variation. I had some stress on this step as my previous step already include rhythm and repetition. So, i just make a slight change by playing with the gap between the rings and the size of the rings.
A little of step three ideas
Step three ideas which I play with the height and the size
Undone step three mock up
  After I done this series of mock up, I went to one-to-one tutorial with ms Sharmila. There's a few things I need to bear in mind.
  • Make the lighting piece float using only balsa wood (no mounting board, no wall or ceiling)
  • The balsa wood is part of design. 
  • Decide where to put the light bulb
  • Make a main support for step two so that it can emphasise the flow and make it more tidy
  • Use modelling board instead of mounting board (looks cleaner)
  • Be careful of my way of doing the mock up (glue marks, etc)
  • Make base model slanting so that it looks more interesting 

You Might Also Like

0 comments: