Penny Black

18:40 Nicole Tay 0 Comments

  There's an article about Penny Black came out for my recent english test. It took my attention as I first thought is was really a penny coin that is black in colour. LOL How stupid I am! But now I did gain knowledge from it HA!
  Penny Black was the World's First Postage Stamp which used in postal system. It features Queen Victoria. According to the article I read, Sir Roward Hill started this idea of using stamp because back in olden days, they need to pay according miles and sheets of paper which is really troublesome.  So, Sir Roward thinks that flat rate will make posting job easier. 

Penny Black
  The portrait of Queen Victoria is used in this stamp until she's died. The dimension of this stamp is 3/4 inch wide by 7/8 inch tall to accommodate the word "Postage" and also "One Penny". The top is designed Maltese crosses and the background engraved with engine turnings.
   Later, Hills change the colour of the stamp to brownish red to make the cancellation mark easier to be seen and there's come Penny Red.


Cancellation mark seen
Penny Red

You Might Also Like

0 comments: