Phrase 2 - Form, Space & Function

20:43 Nicole Tay 0 Comments

  After the checkpoint of the phrase 1, I decided my activities: skateboarding (active) and resting (passive) but the context I chose is not suitable for these activity. I did some research and found out this interesting skate park at California called Lake Cunningham Regional Skate Park. It is surrounded by mountains and greens. I used a part of the skatepark to support my pod so that it is beyond the ground. There's few things we need to consider : massing, circulation, context positioning, form and space. So, after i chose the context, I start to play with the massing. As my keywords from previous assignment are relaxing, curvy and organic. Therefore, I came out an idea of using the s-shape. 
Step 1 - Massing with max volume 128m



First mock up idea
Incomplete mock up. No fittings, no form, no circulations.

Continuing idea and development.

  Knowing that previous mock up didn't work out, an idea of using irregular organic shape (inspiration from the previous light piece) as a form or an enclosed space for passive activity.  


Second mock up. No fittings, too flat for the side and doesn't look like a piece.



Crit 1 on 15 June 2017



  After having feedback from my lecturers, I decided to make the enclosed space slanted so that it doesn't look flat from the side. I also added a ramp to the roof as my fittings.






  I continued my development. I did some corrections before the second crit. I added a platform for passive activity. Then, I added strips and a slide fitting to enclose the too open space. Lastly, I curved the roof so that the human figure can pass through.


Crit 2 on 6 July 2017

An eye icon as the strips design but I feel it doesn't suit the pod .

  As I feel the eye icon doesn't suit my pod, I changed to simple strips. 

Final model






You Might Also Like

0 comments: